Tips for Pattern Mixing with Polka Dots:

Pattern mixing is such a fun way to add personality and interest to any outfit. Follow these guidelines when you're trying to wear multiple prints or patterns together!

Pick a color palette.

Black and white is an easy starter palette, but even if you're adding color, stick to only a few colors. Find patterns with the same colors in them or keep it easy by mixing colors of the same tone together (pastels with pastels or jewel tones with jewel tones, for example).

Mix patterns of different scales.

Pair a small print with a big print and avoid prints of the same size. If you have one print (like the tiny polka dot skirt) with a very small print, it basically acts as a neutral.

So, if you're trying to wear polka dots and stripes together, make sure if your polka dots are small, you're wearing a big bold stripe. Alternatively, if the print of your stripe is small, wear the stripes with a bigger, bolder polka dot pattern.

Mix textures for added dimension.

Skip mixing a top and a bottom of the same fabric. Go for something a little more interesting.

Polka Dot Pattern Mixing Outfit Ideas

When I got back from Alt Summit, this little polka dot top was patiently waiting for me (along with a very untamed inbox). I've had so much fun styling it over the past few weeks that I couldn't just share one outfit. Now, I'm no pro at pattern mixing, and I'm still pretty conservative when it comes to this trend, but black and white pattern mixing with polka dots is something I can get on board with.

I've put together five looks, and if you scroll to the end I share a few tips on pattern mixing in general.  And for your sake, don't order this polkadot shirt in a small, unless you're the size of a doll or have no desire to be able to move your arms (I should have ordered a M).


Look 1: How to wear Polka Dots and Gingham

Pair the polka dots with a classic pattern like gingham or checks. I kept it uniform on the bottom with black leggings and tall boots so nothing else was distracting.

Look 2: How to wear Polka Dots with Polka Dots

The important thing to remember when pattern mixing, is to use patterns of different scales. When I went to pair polka dots with polka dots, I made sure that my dots were different sizes. I think this combo works so well together because the pattern on the skirt is so small.

Look 3: How to wear Polka Dots and Plaid or Stripes

The small pattern on this skirt makes it almost a solid and so easy to pattern mix with. The skirt has a tiny bit of red in it, so it was fun to bring in the accent color. This combo is a great way to wear patterns to the office or someplace a little less trendy.

If you're trying to wear polka dots with plaid, or you're trying to wear polka dots and stripes together, just pay attention to your pattern sizes and pair a smaller pattern with a larger one.

Look 4: Dots on Dots [again]

Remember one of my first attempts at pattern mixing with this skirt? Well I liked it so much I brought it back. Unlike the first dot on dot combo, here the shirt is the smaller print. The larger pattern on the skirt in the same color scheme made them a natural combo and I kept the black and white trend with a fun striped belt.

Look 5: Dots, Lace, and Zebra

The textured lace of this pencil skirt almost counts as a pattern to mix with the polka dots, but I was going for the zebra heels. Putting the neutral between the dots and stripes makes for an effortless combo  that looks put together with the right amount of fun. If you're uneasy about pattern mixing, keep your second pattern in a smaller piece like a belt or a pair of heels.

shirt ℅ // skirt: Banana Republic (similar on sale here)// heels: similar hereand here